Rosley Village Hall

Rosley Village Hall Booking and Enquiries
Contact Debbie Williams Tel: 016973 44255 email: debrajs@live.co.uk

New Rosley Village Hall

Facilities:

  • Main Room + Bar suitable for large functions.
  • An adjoining small room is suitable for meetings, it has removable shutters enabling it to be combined with the main room.
  • The Millennium Room + Bar can be used for meetings or smaller functions.
  • The Kitchen is suitable for the preparation and warming of food and has a dishwasher and large fridge.
  • The Hall is licensed for up to 220 people. It has air conditioning, disabled access, a large car park and a play area.
  • There is a small adjoining field if required.

History - In 1923 a group of Rosley ex-service men formed a committee in order to raise money for a village hall. Mr John Fell, of The Height Farm, gave the land on which the Hall could be built and enquiries were made about army huts for sale at Longtown, a market town on the far side of Carlisle. Having acquired one of the huts the committee erected it themselves and put a wooden floor in. On January 29th 1926 The Rosley Recreation Hall was opened with a Sale of Work and a dance which was a great success and raised £162.08. At the time the supper room had a coal fire for boiling kettles, the kitchen had a water boiler, as there was only a cold tap in the sink, and a wooden table for preparing food. Toilets consisted of a bucket in the cloakroom for the ladies, the men went outside. Over the years the hall was very well used but by the 1960's the walls were sagging outwards and three iron bars were inserted for support.

Rosley Village Hall

In 1985 it became obvious that the Hall was desperately in need of repair, renovation or rebuilding and fund raising began with a series of activities organised by the Village Hall Committee and supported by the community. Work to erect a completely new hall started in the spring of 1986; the new building was built around the old hall, then the old walls were pulled down. It was finally completed in 1988 and the Rt. Hon. Viscount Whitelaw officially opened the New Hall on 6th October. By 1996 the Hall was so well used it was apparent that another meeting room was needed as well as more storage space. The Millennium Room extension was officially opened on 17th September 1999. Since then the facilities of the Hall have continually been improved and upgraded. We have one of the best Village Halls in Cumbria and are very proud of it.