The Original Craggs School
By the early eighteenth century the people of Rosley were
seeking to have their children educated. They petitioned their landowner,
the Earl of Egremont, for permission to build a school and to supply a master
for the said school at their own expense.
The petition stated that
"Being mindful of the great disadvantages they and their
respective families labour under for want of that benefit (education), the
tenants came to an agreement, by contribution amongst themselves, to build a
school house and to hire a master to teach their children."
Apparently this appeal was not granted but by the early
nineteenth century a school had indeed been built on the land identified in this
petition. The school at Craggs Rigg received ?6 a year to educate
six poor children of the parish. In 1846 Mr Joseph Hodge left ?600 in
trust for the education of poor children of the parish. The interest from
this bequest still provides money to children of the parish who have attended
Rosley School and go on to further education.
This school was falling into disrepair and restoration funds
were sought in 1872. Building repairs were carried out by James Laing of
Sebergham, a nearby village: the national building firm, John Laing has its
roots in and around our community.
At the same time as the Craggs school was being upgraded funds
for a new school were being raised. This school was to be nearer the
centre of the community of Rosley on land not far from the church which
had been built in 1840. Interest in the project had first been mooted in
The specifications for construction, when put out to tender, stipulated that
much of the materials had to come from within the district.
Stone had to come
from either Howrigg or Chalk quarries, both are in the parish, the steps and
flags were to be from Howrigg.
Rosley with Woodside School
This school was built at the crossroads near to the church and opened
in November 1873. Twenty seven scholars were registered at the school:
each one paid 3d (slightly more than 1p) per week.
In 1895 the Craggs
School closed and seven pupils transferred to the Rosley with Woodside school.
1960 the school was inspected and the decision made that a new school should be
built. The children left the old school on 20th October 1961 and
returned after the half term holidays to the new school which was just up the
road opposite the church. The new school was officially opened by the Bishop of
Carlisle on 30th October 1961.
The School as it is today
The most recent
extension was officially opened in November 2007. An open day to celebrate the
event saw many former pupils united for the first time in many years. It is a
testimony to the stability of our population that those present included four
generations of one family, and a brother and sister whose children and
grandchildren are all former or current pupils.
the thumbnail to read more about the memories generated by the opening of the
new section of the school.
Pre-school education is provided by
the Busy Bees, who have premises in the school grounds. Secondary education is
provided outwith the community either at Caldew School in Dalston or at Nelson
Thomlinson School in Wigton.
Rosley School has its own website.
Click here to go to their website.